- What do you know about life in Buriton in years gone by?
- Or about the local wildlife or natural history?
- Would you like to find out more?
- Do you have some information that might be of interest to others?
The Buriton Heritage Bank is a special project which is finding out as much as possible about the history of life in and around Buriton.
Illustrated books available
A number of beautifully illustrated books about the parish have now been published - including hundreds of wonderful old photographs from the collection that has been found during the project.
Copies of all the books are still available, with special discount rates for anyone living in the parish. Please contact Daniela Jones via firstname.lastname@example.org
Can you help?
If you know of anybody who might have any information or be able to help in any way, please contact Doug Jones on 01730 231326 or email email@example.com.
An annual exhibition is held in the Village Hall in September each year with fascinating displays about aspects of village life, including:
- hop growing and picking - activities which transformed the parish at certain times of year
- the Buriton and Butser chalk quarries and lime works - another local industry of yesteryear
- our local school - how things have changed over the last 150 years
- changes in leisure activities - from rabbit and pheasant shoots to football and cricket teams
- how farming activity has changed - including the days of sheep rearing on the Downs
- life beyond living memory - from the stone age to the steam age
- local luminaries - some famous people who have lived in the parish
- our natural history - local birds, flowers, fungi and nature reserves.
Plans are being made to hold the 2017 annual Exhibition on Saturday 23rd September - more details will be available nearer to that date.
Further information about the Buriton Heritage Bank can be found at http://www.buriton.org.uk