Operation Falcon is the Police Force’s drive to reduce rural crime and for April the main priority will be thefts from motor vehicles. The Police have provided some new crime prevention advice
Information about thefts from cars:
- Most offences of theft from vehicle are opportunist. If valuable possessions (e.g. handbags, laptops, sat navs, iPods, mobile phones, cameras) are left on show inside a vehicle, it is much more likely to be targeted by thieves.
- Even items of little value, such as shopping bags and clothing, may tempt a potential thief to break into the vehicle to see whether they contain anything worth stealing.
- Offences can take place during the day or night, whether a vehicle is parked in a driveway, on the street or in a public car park.
- Typically, thieves will smash windows to gain entry. Sometimes they will break door locks or, on older vehicles, prise the door away from the body of the vehicle.
Crime prevention and reduction advice:
- When leaving your car, close all windows and lock your car.
- Upon locking your vehicle try your car door to ensure it is actually locked.
- Park your car in an attended car park.
- Look for public car parks approved by the Park Mark scheme.
- When parking at home, use your garage. If you don't have a garage, park in a well-lit area.
- Don't leave anything on display in your vehicle.
- Take all your personal possessions with you.
- Remove sat nav holders and visible sat nav ring marks from windscreens.
- Leave the glove box open to show there's nothing inside.
- Fit an alarm or immobiliser to your car.
- Record the details of your property on the Immobilise web site.
- Do not store your car's documents in the car.
- Secure your wheels using locking wheel nuts.
- More information about alarms can be found on the Thatcham and Sold Secure websites.
If you require any further information you can contact your local Neighbourhood Policing Team on 101. For general crime prevention advice, you can visit our web site following the link - http://www.hampshire.police.uk/internet/advice-and-information/crime-prevention/