Many thanks to everybody who has helped with our 'Buy a Bog' fund-raising campaign to help improve sanitation conditions in our sister community of Dominase. Photographs in earlier messages have shown work taking place on the block of school toilets that we are providing. Here are two more photos (taken in January) which show the building taking shape.
Since these photos were taken work has continued, the walls are being plastered and all the remaining materials (for the roof, doors and big tank to store rainwater for hand-washing) have been brought to the site.
Work is also due to start very soon with some 'pilot' household toilets. We hope to have more news about this in our next message.
All these things take lots of time to arrange, thousands of miles away - but real progress is being made thanks to the help of people in Buriton.
More and more people are finding ways of helping with our link with Dominase. Most recently:
- James Raftery, 13, of Petersfield Road, is continuing to collect mobile phones for recycling. Recent models can produce cash for Dominase so please let him know if you can help (email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Elaine Bray is organising a 'Lambing Lottery' - the last ewe to give birth in the spring will trigger a cash prize for one lucky person; tickets are now on sale
- Susanna Irwin is planning to help schoolchildren in Dominase through local schools in East Hampshire - key textbooks, dictionaries etc will be identified and supplied
- Abigail Biggs is planning to spend a month in Dominase in May to help with teaching in schools and with hygiene education.
Please make a note of the date of our big annual fund-raising Quiz Night. ?What the??! Buriton's antidote to ordinary quiz nights? will be held in the village hall on Saturday 14th May. Only £5 per person - and lots of fun!!
Buriton's work with Dominase is being featured as an example of good practice on a national web-site. Click on this link to take a look: http://www.lg-alliance.org/the-news/news/243-hampshire-and-ghana-linking-village-to-village-and-council-to-council.html
A number of local businesses and organisations have also made kind donations to our 'Buy a Bog' campaign. We are grateful to:
- One Tree Books, Petersfield
- The Paul Martin Design Company
- Louise James Spiritual Healing
- Buriton Fireworks Committee
- Buriton Primary School
- Buriton Tennis Club
- Buriton Village Association
- Milton Park Primary School
- Sheet Women's Institute
- The Petersfield Society
- CPRE Hampshire
Do you know anybody else who may be willing to help?
We are now a fully registered charity (Registered Number: 1139835) which will boost our chances of obtaining funds from other sources and will enable us to claim Gift Aid on donations received from UK taxpayers.
If you think that you might be able to help in any way - or if you would like to find out any more about the link with Dominase - please contact any member of the Village-to-Village Group: Jill Brooker, Monica Ditmas, Edna Hoolahan, Doug Jones, Barbara & John Morley, Mary & Terry Owens, Mary & Bernie Saunders, Charlotte Stein.