The annual local history exhibition will take place in the village hall between 11am and 4pm on Saturday 23rd September. Lots of displays, photographs and information - with presentations about the village and villagers 100 years ago, during the First World War.
There will also be displays about:
- hop growing and picking - activities which transformed the parish every year
- the Buriton and Butser chalk quarries and lime works - another local industry of yesteryear
- our local school - how things have changed over the last 150 years
- changes in leisure activities - not just information about our football and cricket teams over the years, but also pheasant and rabbit shoots, early entertainments and social clubs
- how farming activity has changed - including the days of sheep rearing on the Downs
- our natural history: local birds, flowers, fungi and nature reserves.
Come along, have a look and see how much of your local history has been brought together. And please bring any old photos, newspaper articles or other information. We are always looking to find out more about life in the parish in years gone by.
If you know of anybody who might have any information or be able to help with any of our research in any way, please contact Doug Jones on 01730 231326 or use the website: www.buriton.org.uk